Thursday, June 13, 2013

Desolate Oasis Interview


  •  1.Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
  • 1) Desolate Oasis is a post-black/shoegaze project I started about 4 years ago when I wrote my first song "An Everdreamed Escape". Being proud of what I created, I decided to further my future in music.
    2. How would you describe your musical sound?
    2) My musical sound is an expression of emotions using atmospheres influenced by blends of dreams and happiness, but also depression and melancholy. I like to put true passion into writing my songs, so each one is very special to me.
    3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
    3) My lyrical themes influenced by my dreams, life-events such as love and heartbreak, and many fantasies of mine. But you may be seeing a wider range of lyrical themes in my future releases.
    4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
    4) The name "Desolate Oasis" was inspired by my first song "An Everdreamed Escape", and that song was inspired by a dream I had. The dream was about a girl who woke up in the middle of a dark, foggy forest, unknowing where she was or how she got there. She felt sad at first, being away from all her friends, family, and everyday life, but she then realized that this is what she really wants; to escape from reality and everyday life, and live what seems like a dream.
    5. Currently there is only 1 member in the band are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
    5) For a while, I was considering expanding Desolate Oasis into a full-member band, but I have decided not to; Desolate Oasis is a project where my songs are too personal to write with other people. When I write songs for Desolate Oasis, I like to really express my imagination, and explore my mind, and take my time writing a song. I find that a lot more difficult to do when working with others.
    6. Alot of people would consider the project post black metal, some have embraced it , while others hate it, where do you feel your music stands in this genre, or do you dislike the term?
    6) Post-black metal has to be one of my most beloved music genres; the blend of emotions and atmosphere, I find it quite beautiful. But sometimes I don't like to consider it "black metal", for it is not as dark, evil, demented as Black Metal is, even though it is heavily influenced by Black Metal's style and structure.Though that all may be the case, I do consider my project Post-Black Metal, for it carries the influences and structure that Post-Black Metal possesses.
    7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
    7) The feedback for my music by listeners of Post-Black Metal has been so great. I've gotten a lot of positive reviews and comments by many people around the world, and it is quite surprising; I didn't realize my songs are as great as I'm told they are. It really motivates me to continue making music, and I can't wait to get started on more songs. I plan on changing the style a bit, and I look forward to seeing the reactions.
    8. Are there any other musical projects going on these days?
    8) I've gotten together with a few friends and made a song or two with them. Though it is a bit difficult, I enjoy working with friends to make music. I have worked with a friend on a raw Post-Black Metal project named Lunarwaves, but we haven't released the songs yet. Also, a friend of mine and I have been talking about starting an atmospheric black metal project with a more pagan sound to it. I may also be working on a project another friend of mine and I had started a while ago named Ormandan, and we plan on working for a 5-6 song release.
    9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
    9) I'd like for Desolate Oasis to grow into a big, successful project and release many physical CDs, as well as someday do compilations with many of the bigger Post-Black/Shoegaze bands, and maybe even perform live. Though that is all so far-fetched, that is what I'd like for the project. For now, I am happy the way things are going; I've already successfully completed a song for my next release, and there is a plan for a 3-way split release for next year, and I am quite excited to be a part of it.
    10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
    10) One of the bands that has inspired me greatly is Alcest; I can remember the first time I listened to his song "Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde", I was so blown away by how beautiful and passionate it is. I wanted to create something as beautiful as his songs, and I felt like I knew I could. Now days, I listen to a variety of music, even ones that completely stray away from black metal, such as pop and folk music. I still listen to Alcest, Les Discrets, and a lot of DSBM, and even the heavier black metal bands like Darkthrone, Immortal, and especially Burzum. I also listen to a lot of Pagan Folk music and Folk Metal, like Ensiferum and Arkona. As you can see, I have a wide range of musical taste. No shame, though; I like what I like.
    11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
    11) Outside of music, I am a huge gamer. I'm a hardcore League of Legends player, and I enjoy many of the games that they offer on Steam. I also like to draw, read, write when I am in the mood for it. I plan on returning to school to take art/music classes.
    12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
    12) I'd just like to thank all of those who have supported me and Desolate Oasis throughout the days, from the beginning to the present. It means a lot, and feels great to know people really enjoy my songs. I'd really like to thank my friends who have given me so much support and motivation to keep this project going. If it weren't for all the support I've gotten throughout the days, I don't think this project would be where it is right now. And thank you for giving me the opportunity to do this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment