Friday, May 26, 2017

Abduction Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Abduction is a Black Metal solo project. I've been in plenty of bands before, across many different genres, playing guitar, bass, singing. The time was right last year to put together something completely selfish that works a little differently to what I'm used to doing with other people.
It's the purest output of music I can conjure up. I am a profoundly negative person that finds it therapeutic to get all this out...
Fortunately Inferna Profundus Records picked up on this and gave me the outlet to spew misery forth in a proper way and (so far) it's working.

2.So far you have released a demo and a full length, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
In its broadest sense it's Black Metal. The very term incorporates many different styles and sounds of course but I would hope it comes across as negatively as possible. I'm less concerned with making things perfect and neatly presented. I'm more concerned that it evokes feelings of loss and pain to anyone interested in exploring it. It certainly does to me anyway.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
Lyrically I'm inspired by real life. I suppose I use metaphors and imagery a lot, but it's a reflection of the disgusting world we live in and the depression that comes with living close to poverty. The constant threat of terror and the crushing of the human spirit by the futile rat race we're all in.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Abduction'?
When I was deciding on what to call the project, I wanted a strong name that evokes some sort of fear and if possible a name that sounds like you've almost heard it before. Settling on a band a name is probably the hardest bit of the process. There are so many thousands of bands out there whose names are either just made up words that have no history or meaning. I wanted to avoid that. It took a while but I'm happy with it.

5.On the albums you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians on the recordings or you prefer to work solo?
Yes of course. Collaboration can be a great thing. I also like the idea of split releases too. I've always explored experimenting with music. Ideally it would have to be a choice that adds something new to the sound, but I think a guest vocalist perhaps, or working with a noise artist or something would be great.  

6.What are some of the best shows that you have done so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
Many years ago I played a couple of shows in Germany with Nocturnal. It was last minute decision using primitive versions of the songs from the cassette, but it was very enjoyable.
I also played my first 'official' Abduction show a couple of weeks ago in my home town. I was very surprised it was so busy. I play with a big hood on and a black cloth on my face. I try to remove as much of the human aspect to my performance as possible and hope people grasp the 'void' aspect of it. The more atmosphere, the better.

7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
I have a few more shows in the UK coming up in Nottingham and Birmingham. I'd really like to get out to mainland Europe again.  I've toured out there with other bands and I really feel at home. If anyone is interested in making that happen, please get in touch.  

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
It's been surprisingly great. There have been some really kind reviews and the album is selling all over the place. Maybe the struggles of living life in 2017 are not confined to a country's borders.
My record is now available in the US too which I'm happy about. Also I've gained some new friends in Italy, Poland, Lithuania.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I intentionally kept the debut release very broad and varied. Partly because I'm just a huge fan of music in general, but partly to keep the options open for the next releases. I'm not concerned with how people receive it (though it has gone well!). It's fundamentally music for me. There will be more releases, they will be miserable and extremely dark. At the moment that's all I can say.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I remember hearing the Thorns self titled album when I was just getting into extreme music at around 14 yrs old. That was a huge milestone of influence. From there I properly explored the old Norwegian scene, the French Black Legions and so on. Also Xasthur's - 'Nocturnal Poisoning' a truly soul crushing release. The Sunn0))) and Boris collaboration 'Altar' definitely had a large impact on my tastes too (but I'm not planning on releasing a drone album any time soon).
Most recently I've been enjoying the latest Ruins of Bevarest LP as well as Mgla, Batushka, Full of Hell, Black Cilice, Oranssi Pazuzu, Dragged into Sunlight, Inquisition and Obscure Devotion.
There are some great bands locally here too. Repulsive, Wolvencrown, Burial, Artisian to name a few.

11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?
I have always had a fascination with death, symbolism and the occult. Historically, its gone hand in hand with the sort of music were talking about but for me, even before that. I've read plenty of books by La Vey, Crowley, Boroughs etc. That part of the human psyche has always intrigued me, yes. I think, everything with Abduction though, the influence is subverted somewhat. I'm not brandishing pentagrams or using goat imagery like a lot of clowns. The affinity I have with the darker side of life is not a pantomime and doesn't need props or make-up, it's very real. Too often bands think that wearing corpsepaint and inverting crucifixes is the epitome of evil. These days it's turning into Hollywood. One must remember that humanity is horror in itself, you needn't look far to find it. 

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

https://abduction616.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/abduction616/
https://infernaprofundusrecords.bandcamp



No comments:

Post a Comment